Tuesday 2 March 2010

February Love - A Besom Project

February kicked off with a ‘Conversations Do Besom’ project for a lovely lady, C. We had visited her house before, painting her kitchen and hallway, and this time we returned to decorate her bedroom ‘Sexy Pink’ and clean her carpets. Backache-inducing work, and such a tiring use of a day, but C’s gratitude to us was just massive – she even provided us, very generously, with lunch as her way of trying to express a little bit of the thankfulness she felt towards us. So now she had a bright pink bedroom, a sunglasses-worthy orange kitchen and a lurid green hallway – colours we might not necessarily jump at choosing, especially not in a mass quantity. But for C they were so pivotal in reviving some brightness and vitality into her life.

I never really ‘think’ before doing a Besom project. I just ‘do’ and then leave. But I have always (I’ve done 2 projects, just to contextualise) found myself struck afterwards, upon reflection. The ways that God uses us, even when we’re pretty unaware, is astounding – that he can be using me to bring about His glory without me even realising until afterwards is madness. And I know it shouldn’t be like that – I should be going into anything and everything as Christ’s ambassador here on earth. I should be open, willing, and ready for him to use me – and I am, just passively often, and sometimes quite oblivious. The Bible tell us to ‘Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15)’, and I hope I am prepared to do just that. But if I don’t go into every situation fully focused on God, then I would be more than likely to be caught off-guard, giving a textbook answer to a deeply personal question, rather than one from my heart. I might give an awful answer when it matters most, or skip over a question that is vital in the eyes of it's asker.

But i think this says a lot about me too. It says i need to open my eyes more - to give answers in situations, but to also be looking for situations too, not expecting each one of them to land in my palm. My contact with those who are unbelievers is shamefully low. i need to be putting myself on the line - sacrificing my pride for the sake of the salvation of others. A daunting task, and a seemingly costly one. But the cost for sharing the gospel, for being able to answer people's questions and letting God use me to bring people to Him? Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment